Friday, April 26, 2013

Let's get the marrow workin', uh huh, uh huh!!!

Early blog for today.. Just got back from blood work and I am no where near a 5. In fact my wbc have dropped to a scary 1.1.  Yeah, I know.  Needless to say that I am a little upset. My rbc and hemoglobin are looking decent, and that is something I can help out. That is me eating iron rich food like my liver sausage. Now the wbc count, I can't help.  This is where my immune system becomes seriously compromised.  I need to stay away from stores, restaurants, crowds and kids.  So, pretty much back to my shut in theory.  There goes next week's yoga classes.  My bone marrow needs to get working, if it doesn't improve by next Friday, I would have to hold out another week for chemo. That would really infuriate me. I have mapped all this out without glitches in the schedule.  No way... get going bone marrow.  I am not pushing anything off. Just think Mr. Marrow, "I think I can, I think I can..." and get working!!!

They gave me a shot.  One of a series of three I need to have over the weekend. In fact, Brad has to give them to me.  He doesn't have to, I have quite a few (sick) friends who would love the opportunity to give me a shot and play hobby doctor.... I think I will go with Brad. I wish I had a picture of Brad's face and giant eyes when she asked him if he could do it. The nurse taught him how to do it, it doesn't seem to difficult, he says he can hack it.  Don't worry ladies, if Brad can't do it I will call you in..... but you have to wear a mad doctor costume, and have an evil laugh, or I won't let you near me.   These shots are to boost the productivity of my wbc production.  Guess the chemo is working since it is killing everything else too.  My biggest risk right now is getting sick or an infection.  That could land me in the hospital on antibiotics to combat the cooties I may have picked up because my own system can't hack it.  I trust this old dog, these shots will get me into overdrive and I will show chemo who's boss.  

Even before the appointment I was having a rough morning.  I got a canker sore in my mouth last night and also saw a little black dot inside my cheek.  Great.  As I was showering I notice some body hair starting to shed, and then when I washed my hair some strands fell out. Great.  I also noticed that I may be getting a girly issue that is uncomfortable. Great.  My skin still hurts and I feel like it is so dry and crinkly I look like a worn out leather handbag (or biker). Great. Great. Great.  All that before 9:00 a.m.  Then the blood work.  The nurse said my mouth looked okay, keep using baking soda and keep that clean.  The hair, she said is just going to happen.  My skin, keep moisturized and if the other issue continues, I need to go on something because that too is caused by chemo... people can get thrush in their mouths all the way to their bootys.  Wouldn't that be pleasant.  Each day is a new disastrous surprise.  Guess I cant say I am bored with chemo, I don't know what to expect. Wouldn't this be awesome if it was all good things?  Like you wake up and your'e 10 lbs. skinnier? Or you brush your hair and it is softer and fuller?  Or you wake up and your wrinkles went away? I am upset because I really thought I would rock this out and be barely effected, I was feeling so good last weekend.  I even had that slight inkling that I would keep my hair.  I thought, I could do this with minimum side effects.  Who was I kidding?  So far I am getting a fabulous sampling of many of them.....What is behind door number 4???????

I am trying to stay positive.  I have a good chance at having a miserable three days here. The shots have the potential for bone pain.  I was told I could take Tylenol or Norco.  Yikes, when they say that I need to be prepared.  Dane's first game is tonight, not sure I will be able to go for a number of reasons.  It is outside so germs would be less of a concern, but if I am going to have growing pains at 43, I may not want to sit there. I already cancelled having my brother and his family over for game and dinner. I need to stay away from kids...aka. germ factories!  

I will update if there is anything new and exciting this afternoon. Let's hope for boring and uneventful....never thought those words would come out of my mouth. Times have changed...temporarily

2 comments: