Kids are amazing. Bottom line. We often underestimate what kids are capable of doing or understanding, we need to give them more credit. Today was a perfect example of understanding. Being the first day of school for my 23 kids, I didn't know what to expect. I met them outside with everyone else and joked around and guessed names and had a normal back to school morning. All morning we got settled in, did 20 questions about my favorite things and got situated. Mid morning I decided that I would address the fact I was wearing a hat and scarf in class. I told them that I had really short hair, like one of the boys in class. I shared with them that it wasn't quite long enough for me to go without a hat. One girl raised her hand and commented, " I didn't know you lose your hair if you got breast cancer." Wow...the elephant in my head just came out, and I didn't even have to say the words. My explanation was that you lose your hair from the treatment, but it grows back. I asked if they had heard about my situation at all, and most of them said yes. A boy right in front of me asked if he could shave his head. I told him if he did, we would have a hair growing contest. I also made it clear, with two adult witnesses, that I am not encouraging nor assigning kids to shave their heads... can you imagine that as homework! Ha! So a few boys said they wanted to cut their hair, I thought that was just incredible-they barely know me but were willing to shave their head in support of their new teacher. More adults need to think through the eyes and hearts of a child. I still have that faith in humanity. :)
The day went well. It was very low key, and we got everything we wanted to get done finished. It is always interesting and fun to get to know the kids and start making connections. It is very important to me to connect with each one at their level, that's actually my favorite part of teaching. They will learn if they trust you and know you believe in them. I believe in them already. I think they will be a great group of tolerant, accepting kiddos. Here's to a good year.
My day didn't end with work and I was pleasantly surprised I wasn't completely wiped out. I came home, chatted with the kiddos and then had to head out again. I went to a reiki session. I enjoyed the deep relaxation and meditation-because I have been so anxious and stressed out. I would like to try it again, anything to help my overall well being. Right after, there was the nutrition/cooking session. It wasn't really either. There were nutritionists and a cook there and most of the food was already prepared. They walked through a few recipes that they had copied for us, but mainly just talked to us about them and fed us. Either way it was a decent meal that I didn't have to cook or clean up after. The most enjoyable part of dinner was meeting someone I knew only from another friend. We talked and shared things only us "chemo" people could understand. It was great conversation and I am glad we had dinner together. She is also a teacher and will be going back next week, and has to deal with the whole hair deal too....I guess us teachers are tough... if we can hack all that is thrown to us at chemo we can handle a class full of kids, or is it the other way around? :)
Getting ready for bed soon, wiped out and want to stick with a routine, even if it doesn't work. Here is to a successful first day of school and a positive outlook for everything else....
darn you and your posts - reading this while sitting in a committee meeting, getting ready to give a presentation & I'm all choked up. how amazing that the kids were totally ok with everything, and the boys who offered to headshave on just the first day. soooo glad you got through the first day ok & am really hoping the rest of the week (& year!!) goes as well. now i gotta focus.. :)
ReplyDelete