We're back! Talk about unplugging, the house had no land line, no cell service, no wifi...nothing, nada, zip... The entire Door peninsula had the worst service ever. We had a list at the house of where there was wifi on peninsula and it was like two coffee shops, a gas station and libraries. We just decided to stay unplugged. When we did hit a hot spot, it was fun to get the texts that were backed up, sounded like Las Vegas slots baby!
Anyway, we had a very low key trip-just what the family needed. The house was on Little Sturgeon Bay, very nice, great view, nicely equipped, clean, comfy beds and overall perfect for us. Not that is was a problem, but Sturgeon Bay is the bottom of Door County and everything is north....so we had to practically drive the same route each day to our destination. Each day we started with coffee and breakfast at the house, packed a picnic and headed out. Some of the highlights were: kayaking (Marley paddled solo!), hiked a very tall and scary lookout tower, lighthouse tour, cherry picking, made a cherry pie (my first), art studio (all worked on fused glass projects), the beach (kids swam in 61 degree water when it was 65 degrees out!), climbing on rocks, fishing (Mars 7, Dane 2), sculpture gardens and going out for ice cream or gelato. This was a laid back trip. No go karts or mini golf, no touristy wayside farm markets...we just did what whatever and hung out. It was very nice. Nothing lost, broken, stolen...no injuries or vehicular problems... all that adds up to a successful vacation.
On my front, I went to chemo last Thursday and never blogged about it-so I need to catch up. First I have to say taking a friend makes it go by so much faster. Heidi was there and Dana stopped by and the time flew. The nurse knew I was off on vacation as soon as I was done, she kept on top of things. During chemo the plastic surgeon's office called and set up a few appointments for me. First she set up my surgery for January 10th. Then I asked for a consultation prior because it will have been a long time since we met, so I see him in November. So I have a date! If I stay on track, which I hope to do although my wbc were borderline low last week, I can get through chemo, take three weeks off, start radiation...have more than three weeks until January 10 and then start reconstruction. I like having the date to look forward to...No Christmas break surgery, I asked...he is out of town...of course he is...who else pays for those pricey airline tickets to Jamaica over break?...plastic surgeons. :) Fingers crossed I can stay on that timeline!
All week I have had a lot of achy pain across my chest. My surgeon says I am healing again but I hate it, it makes me feel like something bad is going on in there. I rationally know that it is healing. I have no breast tissue at all and the doctor said all healing starts again after the AC is over, there is a lot to do inside there. She just checked me out and gave me a thumbs up. It feels like I am always wearing a tight bra, and then super tight muscles from under my arm pit and across.... I need to stretch more I guess. I want it to go away, I will feel so much better and it will leave my mind if I don't have any physical ailments from it. Blah. I don't want to live in fear.
Tomorrow is the half way mark for the taxol. I am happy to report that my hair is still growing, I have my nails and so far so good. I actually have a hair line... not like a guy who shaves his head and then gets that five o'clock shadow of stubble, I have a hairline of fine hair that is slowly turning red and growing. Not enough to go sans hat, but getting there. OMG! This reminds me of last night at a smokehouse bbq place in Fish Creek. I was in the world's tiniest bathroom with Marley, she was in a stall and I was waiting in the corner. It was tiny. A lady comes in and heads into the first stall, makes a loud sigh and then walks out and turns and is in my face..." I know you don't know me, but do you have cancer?" OMG>>>>>>>>really? WTF??? Why do random strangers think this is a good conversation starter??????? Outed in the bathroom of a bbq joint! It was my turn to sigh, and I just said, "I am going through treatment, yes." Then she hugged me ( I patted her as she hugged me because it was so ridiculously awkward) and she told me her dad had cancer, she asked what kind....Marley came out and I told her to wash her hands...trying to let the lady know that this was not the time or place to have this conversation...so she kept talking....and hugging....Finally we got out of there. Marley looked at me and said, "Well, that was awkward." Agreed. I am not sure how to handle those situations and I appreciate people caring, but I don't want to be hugged by strangers in the ladies room....just seems too personal of a question....and no...she wasn't drinking, she worked there, I think she was the manager!
Anyway, chemo tomorrow. Kerrie is my buddy. Should go fast.... Brad was thinking of taking the kids to the cabin tomorrow to get some things done, but Marley is protesting going because I will be gone Sun and Monday night and that means she wouldn't have me for 4 nights and that is too long. Plus, we just did a lot of car. I think we will try to go next weekend before school. I want to get a bunch of school stuff done this weekend and Wed-Friday. The fly fishing retreat is next. I have no clue how to fly fish so that part will be interesting. Being with a group of women in the same club also will be interesting, but more scary actually. I am not sure how I will react when I am with these ladies. I will most likely end up crying about something, being happy for others and overall an emotional wreck. I hope not. I hope it rejuvenates my spirit, because I have been down a bit and is uplifting...but not in giant hug circle kind of way. I don't do well with that kind of thing, I don't know why. Like I said it should be interesting. Katie and I are going so I am sure we will have a fun ride chit chatting and telling stories. We are both new audiences to each other so we can tell all the good ones and not worry about repeating ourselves! Ha!
I hope everyone is great. I am working on being great. I am taking those sleeping pills, they help me fall asleep, but then again I did get a lot more exercise this week...however they do not keep me asleep. I will try again here at home and see. Anything is better than nothing. One night at a time. :)
Hugs! I am putting a few pics from my phone...
Glad you had a great trip!! I came across something on FB today and thought of you...that is hopefully I'm remembering correctly that it *is* you who is a big Chris Cornell fan....if not just ignore the crazy lady blathering away over here...Anywho, here's the scoop: "Chris Cornell is coming back to Chicago! He's bringing his acoustic show to the Cadillac Palace Theatre on November 1st."
ReplyDeleteTicket info here: http://www.q877.com/events/chris-cornell
You are correct. He is MY man...thank you and I will check it out!!!!
ReplyDelete