This day is insane. Just returned from chemo class, that was overwhelming. I heard about all the possible side effects and future damage they can do. I am amazed that doctors and scientists even figured out what chemicals can work and not kill you. I am so glad I live in this day and age. During the education, I got a call from the surgeon rescheduling the medi-port procedure... Holy Hell, this is a logistic nightmare now too. She has two surgeries before me and doesn't want to push mine back to like 6:00 if she needs more time. Heck, she is a mom and wants to have dinner with her kids too. I get it. So now, tomorrow is the Mugga scan and that is all as of now.... then on Wednesday I have the medi-port procedure at 9:30 a.m. at a new outpatient facility right there at the medical building where everything else is located. In the past three and a half weeks, I will have had three surgeries at three different places. Plus on Jan 31, I had the uterine ablation, which I am glad I did so I don't have to worry about that on top of all this, and that was at a different place also. It is kind of like my college hopping, just can't commit. If anyone needs information or a trip advisor rating on those facilities, see me.
We went through all the drugs and time frame, and I just sat down to realize that I have a minimum of 15 straight months, once a week treatment of some sort. That is a long time. A long, long time. I am kind of not happy with that, but what can I do? I am still feeling constriction and shortness of breath at times. I talked to doc's nurse and she said if it gets worse go to the emergency room. I had the nurse who was teaching us about chemo, who was really great, listen to my heart and lungs and said everything sounded fine. It is worse when I stand. I think it is the healing of my skin and under. It feels all tight, like when your skin closes up. I feel it from the inside, but there is a lot of healing going on in there too. Feels weird and makes me nervous. I also stopped taking any medication, and that could be why I feel more things. Brad made me take 3 ibuprofen and I will take a Norco for bed tonight. They also suggested that I consider an anti depressant. I am not depressed, but I guess it takes the edge off things, I will think it over. No drinking for me for the next year-starting next Friday. What a bummer. It is not like I have to have it, but I like beer or wine socially, it is a weekend thing. And just when we were getting the home brewing thing started. Figures. I can have one cup of coffee each day, at least I have that. Small price to pay.
There won't be an evening addition unless something drastic changes and I need to spew about it. Brad is getting Dane from play practice then going with him to order baseball goggles, he can't do the contacts. Going to hang out and be mom. I have an urge to clean but probably won't. I am trying to listen to my body. Kind of blah right now thinking of time frame...thinking of hair loss, thinking of side effects, thinking of new routine, thinking of port, thinking of restrictions, thinking of loss of control, thinking of two more IV's, thinking of how I am going to do this, thinking, thinking, thinking.....
I know I keep saying this and I know you know this but dang! It's all just so fast. No time to stop and think. I guess that's good in the sense of getting things done and over. But what the heck? Maybe less time to think is less time for your thoughts to go where they shouldn't. I don't know. I'm probably just talking out of my butt cuz as much as I try to understand I know I can't possibly understand like you do. Like you have to. Or like you will someday when you finally get to stop and think.
ReplyDeleteIt is an emergency situation. In an emergency you need to make clear fast level decisions and do what needs to be done. You have to think but can't really stop to analyze every move. You just have to make the bet choice and move on. No time to look back or second guess. It's that level of thought that saves lives and that is what you are doing - bottom line.
15 months IS a long time!! But you'll be able to do lots of good stuff in that 15 months too. Life isn't stopping for 15 months. It sucks you have to go through everything - this is your new reality, and it stinks. But hopefully soon it'll become just routine, and you can focus on other better stuff too.
ReplyDeleteI hope that tightness is just the healing. It makes sense - they cleaned everything in your chest area out so much. Hopefully the mugga scan goes well & you can rest assured that every test they have on you shows otherwise healthy systems.
The antidepressant sounds like a good idea - just to get through this transition into your new reality. easy for me to say...
hang in there. you've got lots of good souls watching out for you.