Thursday, January 9, 2014

CT Scan...check

Yesterday was just tiring going back to work so I forgot to blog. Nothing major occurred and I didn't have to go see any doctor or have a test. Today on the other hand was different.  I didn't have coffee which was really hard for me, I do like a cup to get me going in the morning and prevent the caffeine withdrawl headache that I suffered all afternoon.  I also couldn't eat past 11 am.  I choked down part of a peanut butter sandwhich at 10:55, just to not have an empty stomach.  Then the fun began. I had to drink two giant bottles of barium.  I had two flavors, one mocha and the other banana. I started with the mocha. I put it in my water cup with a lid and it took about 45 minutes for me to finish it. Each chug was followed by me plugging my nose to choke it down.  I had a little time in between bottles, but I had to hit the second one quickly.  That was the banana.  Tasted like a banana laffy taffy, with a horrid after taste.  The thickness and consistency was almost enough to make me gag.  I was hungry, I was bloated from all the goo, I had a headache and I was mentally and physically exhausted.  That was before the test!!!

Got there just on time, not that anyone ever says anything they are all so nice. On my way there Brad texted me that he was going to meet me there. That was sweet, he didn't need to.  The nurse who was taking care of me was a real sweetheart.  She also made my day because she said she could do everything through my port, as long as it was a PowerPort... Yes, a break. No IV.  She gave me that good news and then asked if I could chug another smaller glass of barium.  I held my nose and down the hatch it went. Vanilla.  The best of the three.  She accessed my port with no pain or discomfort.  The actual scan was of my pelvis and abdomen. The scan time itself was like 4 minutes total. It took 100 times longer to get me ready and all that.  I was out of there fairly quickly when it was done.  The nurse told me the images are instant, and they would be sent to my doctor tomorrow.  I see my doctor tomorrow.  I get Herceptin and a scheduled appointment to see how I was doing. I will know my results tomorrow.  Happy, happy, joy, joy...

This evening I am crashing.  So tired.  I am trying not to worry about the results.  I think they will be good.  They have to be.  I am willing them to be good. I need all the miracles and wishes to come my way.  I know I will be scared tomorrow and I will get nervous towards the afternoon. Brad will be with me, thank goodness. 

My stomach is a roiling vortex of doom. The barium is going to rip through me with a fury. Fun times. I am about to get comfy and go find my fire and hang with the kids a bit before they go to bed. Tomorrow is a new day...that will bring good news!  That's tonight's mantra.

Fingers, toes, ears and eyes crossed....

No comments:

Post a Comment