Sunday, June 2, 2013

Escape

I don't know what it is, but when I am up at the cabin, I have not had cancer, I am not in treatment and all is good in the world. I am getting closer and closer to chucking it all and moving up there and building our dream, a self sustaining farm- and calling it a day.  I envy the people who have enough guts to sell their homes, quit their jobs and take the slower, more natural and organic lifestyle choice.  Brad and I have tossed this idea around for a while and have our plan, I just get scared now that I won't be around to see it come to fruition.  But I will be. Brad is confident I will be too. 

Going up there this weekend is exactly what the doctor ordered for the whole family. We truly had a real Marvin weekend.   I don't think there was anything I didn't do this weekend, that I would have done on a previous life weekend.  Down to having my beer outside.  Okay, it was a non-alcoholic German Weiss beer that my sweet husband did some research about, and stopped and picked up for me on the way.  Now that is good guy.  We pretty much hung out. We had stopped for our favorite pizza on the way.  We did a puzzle, played Apples to Apples and Jenga.  Kids and I made some fun crafts,we went for walks, kids played in stream, built forts and foraged for mushrooms.  We thought for sure we missed all chances of getting any morels this year.  It is usually peak time around Mom's Day.  We're weeks late, but we thought we would look anyway. Right up our hill, by the kids fort, I spotted one.  I have the best eye of the family for mushrooms.  Then I looked uphill in the forest, under the pines and there they were!  About 20 of the most beautiful morels we have ever seen!  We filled the bag, dumped and grabbed another bag and foraged some more.  In the end we collected about 7 pounds! Last year I sold them at 14 dollars a pound so we were thinking it was a decent haul.  Dane and I went to town to try to sell them.  Since the season was over, nobody was buying.  I got a hold of one guy and he was buying at 7 $ and I would have had to come back into town later that night.  For that price I was taking them home to make a lot of soup!  Then we stopped and were talking to a lady about her store and were chit chatting about something else and the mushrooms came up.  She said she would buy some for herself - and she had a scale because she shipped E-Bay items. So we sold the lady 3 lbs. for 10 bucks a pound and walked away with cash, and enough 'shrooms for plenty of soup!  Dane and I had a fun time together trying to sell the mushrooms and exploring new areas of RC that we have never seen. We realized that in "season", foraging and selling mushrooms would be part of our self sustaining farm. Hmm.....

Overall our weekend was wonderful.  I did take a half an Ativan each night, and I slept pretty good. I don't know if it was the fresh air, relaxed feeling or Ativan...whatever it was it was nice to sleep.  I think I am going to be on the up and up for the next two weeks. I am hoping that I have no new side effects and can continue to keep the few I have under control. I have a few uncomfortable issues that I need to address with the doctor via email tomorrow, but I am physically feeling good.  Tomorrow is the last day without kiddos, things will be different.  My peaceful, boring time is gone forever.  I will be going back to work in the fall, so that was it.  Too bad I couldn't have enjoyed it, and that I was home for surgery and chemo...See how I quickly I forgot? That is what Wisconsin will do to you.... I like my little escape...

2 comments:

  1. I looooove that you guys had an awesomely normal & peaceful weekend in WI. We were in fresh air in WI too & it felt heavenly to sleep in right? Love the pic of the kids. It's perfect. Sometimes I can't believe that you guys actually own a little piece of that paradise. It's been good to you so far... Enjoy your last day of quiet around the house. Remember that the neighbors are all around to send the kids over for playdates when needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your weekend was fantastic. I'm so happy for you guys.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete