Brad informed me that I was not a responsible blogger because I didn't blog last night after a doctor's appointment. I guess that is true. I didn't blog for any reason except that I forgot. Oops. Our friends Kerrie and Howard came over with chili and it slipped my mind until I was in bed. Sorry to freak a few people out. Thanks for caring. :)
Overall all is good. My blood work was all fine and she started me on the Tamoxifen. She asked me how I felt and I said that I still felt all achy, tired and worn out. She said sometimes it takes longer for people to get back to how they felt previously. When I was on the Taxol, I didn't have as many aches and pains because the weekly steroid masked those. Even though I have been off for over a month, all the good old pains can come back...at different times. But now I need to be aware of the aches I have to watch out for anything new the Tamoxifen may cause. The biggest issues with this drug on a regular basis would be hot flashes. Not looking forward to those, but they are not life threatening. The other two biggies are uterine cancer and clotting. Both are less than 2 %, but they have to tell you because it could happen. I will work on getting a hysterectomy in the next couple of years so I don't need to worry about that too. I took my first pill today.
I had radiation and that went as usual. I also had Herceptin. All my favorite nurses were there, and there was only one other patient. I chatted and worked on a puzzle. Unfortunately I feel too comfortable there, and that kind of sucks because it is a treatment center. I would have rather made new friends at a class, in the neighborhood or just about any other way. There was a lady there, a bit older than me, like 50 was my guess, with her husband...getting the first treatment spiel. I don't know what she was getting, but I could just hear the precautions of germs and all that stuff. It really hit me in a weird way. She is there getting her first treatment...the beginning of a long haul (assuming) and I just wanted to go talk to her. She seemed to be in good spirits, but I remember how freaked out I was, how it made me cry thinking of the poison I was getting. I don't even know what I would have said to her, but I felt like saying something. I didn't of course. This was not my business nor my place to give any form of advice or assurance. Maybe I could have given her "how to survive the chemo experience".
Off the top of my head here is what I would have said.
1. Get to know the nurses. They are a huge part of your treatment.
2. Bring a friend or husband. Don't do it alone...time flies when you are with people.
3. Listen to your body. If you are hungry for a burger, go get one.
4. Use the anti-nausea meds, they work-lessened my upchucking
5. Eat the Lorne Doones, nobody buys those and you only get them there or on airplanes.
I am sure there are other things, but like I said, it wasn't my business... It did seem like it was forever ago I was in that chair for the first time. I really wish I never had to be. I am still not a convert on the, "I am glad this happened to me" front. I am not. I am sorry if that sounds bad.
My next steps are to continue the new drug, for 5-10 years. Yikes. Herceptin every 3 weeks. Doctor every 6 weeks. Radiation for another 20 weekdays. New sleep med maybe this week. Alternative medicine/therapy intertwined. 5 days a week 30 minutes min. exercise. I need to do that for many reasons including keeping clots at bay.
It is the middle of the day on Saturday, and I slept like crap last night so I am tired. I did a bit of yard work and my cousin Carl was here overnight last night and hung out with us this morning. I need to shower and go shopping. I need pants. I cannot squeeze this booty into my jeans and I want at least one pair of comfortable pair. I have declared that when I get my new body, I am going to start my wardrobe over. I am thinking of getting rid of it all and starting from scratch. Could be fun. Could be expensive too....I am worth it.....
No comments:
Post a Comment