Sunday, November 3, 2013

Proud

Another jump start to getting my life back...a crazy busy Saturday...the kind you have once in a blue moon, that wipes you out totally the next day, regardless of your current sleep or treatment condition.  This day has been the same for the past three years, and begins with The Race of the Dead in Chicago....

The Race of the Dead is in honor of Los Dias de Los Muertos...or Day of the Dead, the Mexican holiday that honors passed loved ones.  This was my very first 5k two years ago.  It was a lot of fun and great atmosphere, so we did it again last year.  Of course we wanted to do it again this year, but things for me had changed. I still wanted to do it because of the atmosphere, neighborhood and the cool shirt-but planned to walk.  I told my pals that I was going to walk and they could all go run their little hearts out, but I haven't done much in the past 7 months, and haven't run since this last race.

Debby, Heidi and Kristin picked me up at 6:00 a.m. Saturday morning, which is a horrible thing on a weekend.  We got to the city and it was a lively morning!  Music blaring, colors of the celebration everywhere, pozole cooking in large pots.  Kind of made me want to move. Invigorating temperatures and a buzz in the air.  But no way was I going to run.  Debby and Kristin left to run, and Heidi and I were ready to walk.  Time came and we crossed the start line and I told Heidi I wanted to try to "run" for a couple of minutes.  I was thinking like 5 minutes before I was huffing and puffing and regretting it out of shear embarrassment for myself.  So I jogged...and kept going.  We were talking the whole time and wondering where the mile marker was because I now had to reach the one mile mark. I was now determined to make it that far. Then there it was.  I was doing okay, so I told Heidi I would try to get to the 2nd mile marker...little bit of discomfort here and there, but was feeling okay...kind of  happily surprising myself.  Then there it was...Now what? Give up? Not really in my blood, so I decided I would try to finish the race and if I started feeling like I was putting myself in any danger, I would stop.  It was getting longer, and we kept picking street signs for me to reach as goals. Heidi was my personal coach and motivator the whole time. She was encouraging me to keep going and fibbing that she saw the finish line. :)  Each time we made a goal she was right there helping me pick a new one.  It was awesome having her by my side!  When we finally turned the corner and saw the finish line I couldn't believe I had done it...I did not stop running the entire race and completed it!  Yeah me!  Dane asked me what place I came in... I said First Place for my category: Out of shape, insomniac radiation patient who recently finished chemo...he said, no...The Best Mom in the World category....

After the race festivities, we headed out for breakfast and a stop at favorite store before the drive to Madison.  Yep, the day had just begun...like years before with parties and overnights...this race day always seems to be a full one.  We got to Madison around 4 and checked in to the hotel and rested for a bit.  We were all tired for sure.  We needed to get that second or third wind...to continue our night.  We did a little shopping on State Street and then went out to a fabulous tapas meal...mmmm.  I had some sangria and it was wonderful.  It was great being out and feeling pretty damn good and normal.  I liked how I felt.  Gave me hope.  Then after dinner we literally walked next door to the Orpheum Theater to see...Chris Cornell's acoustic show! Whoo-hoo!!  We walked in at 7:30 and got great seats, yes seats, the whole thing was seating only.  The main floor were all folding chairs, those folks stood in line 3 hours prior to opening...no thanks.  The show was amazing. He sounded fantastic and looked even better...mmm.  He played a long show and was a perfect ending to a great day.

We were all pretty much toast by the time the show ended.  The hotel wasn't even a block away, we had stayed within two buildings for everything...Even though my body ached and I was done, I had a hard time falling asleep...had that stupid What does the Fox say song stuck in my head!  Why, not sure...

Today we got up and did a little shopping in Madison and then headed home. The rest of this day was grocery shopping and what not. I am busted tired, but still going... I have a renewed sense of self coming on...between last week and this weekend, I am starting to see myself on the road to Donnanne.  I know this road won't be easy, none of this has, but I am not giving up on me.  I have a lot going on in the next couple of weeks to continue the upswing towards physical and mental health.  Go me! 




 



1 comment:

  1. Loved this weekend Donnanne. You are strong and fun and beautiful!!! Thanks for taking me with :)

    ReplyDelete