I was just texting with my friend Julie, who also recently finished treatment, and is working on the hair growing end of things...that I need to update my picture with all of my new luscious hair! It has grown quite a bit. People say it looks like it is getting curly in the back, hmm. If I end up with lovely waves, it will be a bonus. Right now I wear it in a faux hawk each day to school. Why not, plus I like it and it is fun. I can't update the picture now, I am makeup free and it is the end of a long day. Not pretty.
Had radiation with xrays today, which makes the process twice as long. They do xrays to make sure they are always in the right fields. I don't even listen anymore. I just lay there stony still and zone out. Came home-changed and went to get a massage. I went to a chiropractor's office for this-rather than a walk in place or a salon. I don't want to tell my story to a different random masseuse each time I go, so I thought establishing someone near home and at less of a foofy place would be a good idea. It was.
I went a few minutes early because I knew I would have papers to fill out. I did. I met the masseuse and she was willing to listen to the short version of my story. (Although she said I didn't need to make it short, but I wanted it short!) She was a very good listener and really had a way of making me comfortable. She said she believed that I needed a light, more therapeutic first massage-rather than getting in there good and beating me up. I agreed. Usually I cannot stand when the masseuse talks to me, I am there to relax, not have a conversation. However, she was different. She talked to me in a way that I needed, she was very understanding and made me think of things that I thought were helpful. She was part therapist and part masseuse. She was what I needed right now. It was a fateful match that I picked this place and she was assigned to me. She said her method was a little unconventional for the chiropractor's office, but I was open to her new age thinking. I am open to just about anything that may help me get my body back on track, clear the gunk out of my head and help me sleep. It was the nicest manipulation of my body in months. No needles, no shifting, no drawing, nothing bad.
I made an appointment for two weeks from tonight to go back.
I also made an appointment for a naprapath for next Tuesday. She is over in Wheaton, but I would like to give her a whirl. I know it is a bit out there (most people think naturopath, or haven't heard of one at all), but I had one experience with a naprapath, and it was very successful. I have an initial consultation with treatment focused on insomnia. She thought that 3-4 sessions may be what I need. Since it will be coming out of pocket, that sounds reasonable. I also have an email in to an acupuncturist to see if he thinks he could help. Alternative medicine here I come.
Massage, naprapathic doc and acupuncture all sound good. Let's hope they can deliver!
One of the things the masseuse asked me was, "What does the finished you look like-when you will be happy with how you look and feel? What will you be doing? What does this future look like?" I liked the question. Made me think. The first image that popped into my head was me, with shoulder length, wavy hair, new boobs, thinner, in a fabulous place with my family on vacation, laughing and having fun. That is what I saw. That is what I am making my goal for next summer. Goals are good.
No comments:
Post a Comment