I hadn't heard from the radiologist and I was starting to get nervous, annoyed and frustrated. The sooner I start this treatment, the sooner it ends. On the way home from work I called them to find out what was up. I had to leave a message with the nurse, but she called me right back. She said that they left a message on my cell phone on Friday for me to come in today! I said that I never received the call, which I didn't (double checked phone history too). Anyway, they asked if I could come in right now. Since I was headed home, and south...I said I could be there in 20 min. Yippie!
Today was the technical day. They had my "form" ready for me on the machine and I had to lay perfectly still with my hands over my head holding on a handle, and my head turned all the way to the right for over an hour. It was fine for the first 30 min. I may not be able to sleep, but I can totally lay still, like an opossum. But after the 30, my neck was so stiff it was painful. My hands started falling asleep and all I could do is stay still. There were two technician nurses and the doctor. Not the pregnant doctor, she had a baby yesterday, the other one. They took a zillion xrays, readjusted me, lined the laser on me and marked me up like a road map. I have a what looks like the outline of Indiana on my chest in marker. They talked decimals and tangents...good, real life application of math. Wish I could share that with my students, but I think I won't. They were moving the machine fractions to get it adjusted just right. When I was finally able to move, it hurt! My arms, my chest from stretching and my neck was just toast. I will be the stillest person in the world while zapping is going on because I don't want to shift and have them start radiating my heart or have to make another hour long adjustment appointment. That doesn't sound good.
I officially start the radiation tomorrow. Haven't looked at the calendar yet to see where that puts me, but I think it is the first week of December. I also get the do's and don'ts of radiation. Can't wait to hear about those. They are another set of really nice nurses, and they are working with me to give me after school hours. They aren't open in the evening, but they are going to try to keep me around 3:45-that works and I will then only need to leave work on every third Friday for Herceptin. Getting this worked out was very important to me, so I could continue to work and juggle everything else.
I got home about 5:30, and started dinner because Brad was getting Bosco his booster shots. Dinner made, and then I had to run errands with Marley. I also had to pick up things for school. I am beat. It is 8:00 and I wish I could turn in and go to sleep. I have to stay up until 10 to keep a routine. Argh.
So here I am, ready to start this next treatment, almost exactly 7 months after my surgery. I can't tell if this has been the longest 7 months of my life or if time has flown by. I am just not sure. Some of my sore aches and pains are going away. I still have the weird muscley like crampy thing in my leg, but not sure why. I am overall in less pain. I am walking more too, maybe I just need to keep moving. I think I am going to try a restorative yoga class tomorrow night here in town. I will play that by ear after radiation day one is done. Everyday I feel different, I wonder, truly wonder if I will ever have a day where I don't hurt, don't have to have a treatment and am a full person again...5 years? 10? Fingers crossed.
That's all I've got....
No comments:
Post a Comment