Instincts. Women's intuition. Gut feelings...whatever you call it, listen to it. That is what kept me from planning on going to Wisconsin this weekend and I was correct. I also didn't want to go to chemo today, and rightfully so... Get this... I will be spending all day tomorrow at the hospital getting a blood transfusion. Yep, you heard it right... 2 units of red blood cells. Yep, not the white blood cells, the shots are working for those. My hemoglobin is low enough for me to need blood....Needless to say I was upset. I cried. I was and am grossed out about the whole thing. I can't believe it. I just want to take my poison like a good girl and move on. But no. It has to be more challenging....
The good news is that I was able to get the treatments today. They went off without a hitch, just my normal apprehension of sitting there and doing it. After we were done there, we left the port accessed. We drove to Rush-Copley and registered for the transfusion. I also had to have them draw more blood to type and cross for a match. I had the option of leaving the port in overnight, or redone in the morning. Hello! Who wants to worry about that all night, not me...plus it would make me lose sleep thinking I was going to rip it out accidentally....
The plan. RC is going to call me in the morning when a bed is available. The transfusions are usually done in the outpatient area, but they are closed on the weekends. Instead, they will be giving me a room for the day. Once they call, I go straight to that room and tell the nurse that I am here. Then they access my port again, and hook me up to the bag of red blood cells. Here is the kicker... I need to plan to be there 6-7 hours! Holy Crap! That was quite a shocker. I was thinking like 2 hours, kind of like chemo, and they give me like 6 drip bags of stuff. Tomorrow is going to be a long day. The plan is for Brad to take me and get me settled. Then he is going to need to come home and take care of the kids and work on Marley's room. I am going to have a couple friends help me out with company and a ride home. I don't want to ruin anyone's weekend. Man, this sucks. What can I do? Roll with it baby, get some new blood. Since I am a vampirate, I should be more excited. Maybe I can find me a gold doubloon while I am there.
I am blogging early because I am fading. My eyes are getting heavy and I think because I am not thrilled with this transfusion nonsense, I am ready to crash. I needed a good lunch but we were running around and soon I will be on the not eating week. Oh well, I gain on the good weeks, so we know that part of me is working....of course it is!
Missed the wig today. Not home for Dane and super unfun mood for Marley. I think they will understand. I need to stay positive because I am down in the dumps right now. Maybe a nap will help.
Just another adventure in chemoland.
No comments:
Post a Comment