So far so good. I am still feeling up in mind and body. This week 2 has been nice. Last round this was the weird skin reaction time, less this time around because I know what to expect. I started a new book today, called Mind Over Medicine by Dr. Lissa Rankin. She is working on the proof that our minds can heal our bodies. Our bodies are built to heal themselves and our minds can work either for or against us. We have all heard about people making themselves sick, by believing they are sick or unhealthy the body responds in that way. That is the nocebo effect. In the same way, our bodies can react to healing as form of believing we are being treated or have a positive attitude, a placebo effect. I just started the book but it is interesting so far, and she is a medical doctor who believes in scientific proof to base her work. I thought I would read it help me focus on any areas that I am not strong on in the mind/body healing relationship. I was thumbing through some of the other pages, and went through the checklists on relationships and believe I am right on track. I love and am loved. That is huge. I am not a big fan of self help books, and I am not even sure if this is one. What drew me to it was a TED talk that I saw of her explaining her intrigue and research on the correlation between mind and body. I do believe in mind/body relationship and the powers that we have yet to tap. I thought I would give this a whirl. I will keep you informed.
The rest of the day was like yesterday. I did the exact same thing. It is still boring and lonely. I am productive, which is good, and I am working at my own pace. I guess it is just weird. All of my adult life I have been working. Yes, I am a teacher and I have summer time off, but for the most of my career I have had children to care for during that time. So when I have this luxury time, (being a feel good day) it is hard for me to not waste it away now. If I ever have a day off of work in regular life, I am usually filling it to the brim with activities or appointments. I think now on those cherished days, I will slow down. I will have my coffee at a leisurely pace. I will work on a puzzle or take a nap. I think as much as I am bored, this may slow my pace down for my future. I need to stop and smell the java. I guess I am learning to chill. I know, I know... It has taken me 43 years and cancer to slow me down...hmm. I wonder if it will stick... or will I go back to being on hyperdrive all the time? Guess that is to be determined. I am not going to stop doing....I just may add a few more leisurely "doing" activities to my life.
Okay, today was Day 3 in my "torture my kids" project. Today I greeted each kid, respectively, at the front porch in an afro as they came home from school. Dane wouldn't look. The other kids were dancing disco, and he was shielding his face! Perfect! When it was Marley's turn. She stopped, had a smirk, and ignored me. This is really fun. Those wigs are itchy and I can stand then for the 5 minutes each kid gets.... Not sure what tomorrow brings... I have 12 more days to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment