Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Oooh, That Smell....

Somehow, I caught a break today.  I don't know if it was all of your good karma and prayers, my positive mental outlook or just dumb luck.  But whatever it was, I felt way better today than the last three days...for sure!  I am not at 100% at all, but I am not flat on the couch and sicker than a dog.  I am still medicating regularly for the nausea.  The newest lovely is that I am becoming more sensitive to odors and smells... I am defining odors as unpleasant, and smells could be good.  For instance, I can smell the horrid taste of the saline they use to clean my port. In fact, that made me throw up this morning.  I didn't actually smell it, I don't have it here, but I conjured it up in my head and smelled it... Okay, now you think I am losing my marbles...not so.  Brad made bratwurst and I almost hurled. Eggs...barf... Remember how I said this is very much like being pregnant and hung over at the same time...well....  Now I am fighting real smells and the ones I have memories of...once more...fun times...

I went so see the surgeon for a check up.  She said that once chemo is done, the AC big guns, my scars will heal faster.  She also clipped my spit stitch and told me that if I wanted physical therapy, she suggested that I wait until after chemo and that I will not regain my arm strength to pull my bow until I am done.  She said I need to be patient.   She also talked to us about new ideas in reconstructive surgery and radiation. She said she just went to a conference where the big debate was about  putting the spacers in after chemo and before radiation. This way the spacers will be there holding the space of the skin before it gets damaged from the radiation.  This would of course, push back radiation, I don't know by how many weeks, but would get the party started.  I will meet with her in July and we will talk about it more. I will have to talk to the oncologist, radiologist and plastic-man too.  It kind of makes sense, I would hate to have my skin all leathery and nasty when they are making my super model boobies, I want them as supple as a babies butt..... he he.....

The evening was a normal drive kid here and there kind of night... which I was lucky enough to be able to do.  I am kind of pooped now. Tired. Not sick at this point.  I know my blood count is low, due to my past history.  I am going to stay home and be careful for the next week until the Nuelasta kicks in, and my new red blood cells adapt to their home.  I hope I don't have a relapse, I think I did last round. I should be looking at my notes, but I forgot to write them while I was sick.  Go figure.  

Only a few more days of school.  I find this hard to believe as a mom and a teacher who didn't get to finish her year.  Soon the kids will be wanting to do everything they are used to this summer and I will do my best.  Marley was a little upset the other day and I asked her if it had anything to do with me, and she said, "kind of."  After a talk I found out that she is worried her summer won't be as much fun because I won't be able to taker her places and do all the fun things she is used to...Gotta love the self-centered world of an 8 year old.... I wish I was 8!

1 comment:

  1. So glad you had a better day! At least you didn't miss any nice days outside while you were horizontal. In fact, looks like you won't miss any nice days this week at all while homebound. You, my darling, have given your kids enough fun in their 8 & 12 years to last several lifetimes. They'll have a good summer, even if it's just running the neighborhood & making forts in the yard. Here's to hoping you continue to feel better.

    ReplyDelete